Trustee roles available
Friends of Windmill Gardens – Trustee Recruitment 2024
This is your opportunity to bring your skills and experience to the running of a small and friendly Charity that combines history and heritage with community engagement and volunteering.
The Friends of Windmill Gardens is Charitable Incorporated Organisation established to restore, preserve and enhance Brixton Windmill (built in 1816, it is London’s only remaining working windmill) and the Windmill Gardens, as well as provide a local community hub for residents of Brixton and beyond. The organisation relies on the input of a number of dedicated volunteers who assist with milling, events, the café, and fundraising. We have just agreed our strategic objectives for the next three years and, due to the retirement of some existing Board members, we are now looking for a number of new Trustees with a range of skills to help make these objectives a reality.
The Treasurer is a crucial role given that we are small Charity that relies mainly on grant income. We are looking for someone with relevant training and/or experience who can:
- Prepare and present regular financial reports to the board on the Charity’s financial position
- Advise the board on how to carry out its financial responsibilities
- Oversee the preparation and scrutiny of annual accounts
- Ensure that the day-to-day finance activities such as such as book-keeping, budgeting and preparation of reports is carried out smoothly and effectively
- Provide financial information to support other Board activities such as grant applications, income generation and business planning.
Trustee Lead for Events and Visitor Attraction
The Trustee Lead for Events and Visitor Attraction oversees our events programme, working with our Events subgroup to ensure our programme and activities at the Brixton Education Centre are relevant for the community. Responsibilities include:
- Review and inform the annual Events calendar for Brixton Windmill including Open Days, special events and participation in local Heritage events.
- Work with the Centre Manager and other relevant members of the Board to ensure the offerings of the Brixton Education Centre are fit for purpose.
- Create and lead on any strategy around new Event or Visitor Attraction activities.
- Lead the Event subgroup and report back on their discussions and decisions.
- Provide regular reports to the Board on all matters relating to Events and Visitor Attraction activities.
Trustee Lead for HR & Governance
The Trustee Lead for HR & Governance is is responsible for ensuring the Board and charity are well-governed, with dutied that include:
- To contribute to HR policy setting, strategic direction, goal and target setting, and evaluate performance against targets, budgets, plans and charitable objectives.
- To ensure that HR activities and interventions are linked to Friends of Windmill Gardens charitable objectives and complement the company culture
- To work with the Chair of the Board to review current HR management arrangements, and provide guidance on HR strategy and short and long-term direction.
- Advise Trustees on the long-term vision and strategic direction for investment in human resources.
For these roles, we are looking for someone with relevant experience gained through either their personal or professional careers. You do not need to have prior experience of being a Trustee, however an understanding of the work of the Friends of Windmill Gardens and commitment to its aims and values – as well as being able to allocate the time and effort to being an effective Trustee – are essential. Please see the attached role description for further information; you can also find out more about being a Trustee in the Charity Commission’s guidance.
As an organisation rooted in its community, we are keen that our Board reflects the local population and we therefore welcome applications from a diverse pool of candidates.
Further information and how to apply
For an informal chat about the role please contact our Secretary Emma Smith-Brodie firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply please submit a CV and covering letter outlining why you wish to join the FoWG Board, what skills and experience you could bring, and which Trustee role you are interested in, to email@example.com.
Closing date: Friday 9 February 2024
Download more information: FoWG Trustee Role Description
PreviousThree new bookable events for Spring